Ted Davis Dies at 101

Date of Death

Ted Davis, a centurion with an insatiable love of people and life, died on Palm Sunday at his home.
Physically and socially active, Davis spent most of his life in Akron, Ohio. In later years, he wintered in La Cañada, moving here permanently at age 98 to be closer to his daughter, Judi Healey, his granddaughter, Kathryn Peoples, her husband, Ryan, and his great-grandson, Bradley.
Born Theodore William Davis in Queens, New York, the WWII veteran served as a medic with the U.S. Navy and continued his interest in medicine all his life, working in marketing for Upjohn Pharmaceuticals until his retirement. Always active, he would deny himself his morning coffee until he had done his morning exercise, and he celebrated his 95th birthday on the same courts where he had won many tennis tournaments.
Ted was fueled by the company of others and embraced community service. Last year he received the Legion of Honor for his 75 years as a member of Kiwanis International. In Ohio, he was a tireless volunteer at hospitals and on boards, even leading a morning fitness class at the YMCA for years. The Kidney Foundation and SCORE were two of his favorite involvements.
He remained active in AM Kiwanis in La Cañada, volunteered for 11 years at Verdugo Hills Hospital, and often signed up to work in the food tent for the Tournament of Roses. A lifelong Episcopalian, he occasionally was the St. George’s delegate to the diocesan convention.
Ever gregarious, he would break out in song in strange places, including elevators. Even in his last week, he sang “Show Me the Way to Go Home” to his daughter’s writing group, and he continued to play host to anyone who stopped by his cabana, offering them jelly beans or scotch and engaging them in conversation about anything from bird seed to lemons.
He was predeceased by just about everyone, including his wife of over 60 years, Audrey, and his second wife, Helen, whom he married when she was 78 and he was 80.
Ted’s life will be celebrated at 10 a.m. on Sunday, April 16, at St. George’s, with a reception following on the grounds.